Thursday, August 4, 2011

Yoga - HEALTH - To be flexible is to be Gatsby.....in more than just the bed

YOGA

I had to touch on the subject that allows me to keep the hours I do, the health I do, the hobby's I do, and most of all the satisfaction of life that I do. I'm a 30 year old single male in a high elevation mountain town. I see loads of people from different towns, states, countries, and sometimes planets I feel. All of them have something in common.......Health. Whether poor or great, every human has health. Its a term we use to cover up or enjoy what we do. "Oh I'm not healthy enough to do that," is something all of us have said in different words. We usually just say, "we're not up for that." Could you do it if ya had to?

I do more than stretch and I do less than ancient chanting. That is where my yoga practice lies. I have practiced many different styles of yoga over the past 8 years. And through those 8 years I have seen many changes in my body. Most of all the change in my flexibility to that of my homies, friends, and counter parts. I haven't drank alcohol in almost 10 years either. This, I have been told, adds to the flexibility and longevity of my "health." I'm not sure how to tackle this word "HEALTH." You can be "in shape" but not in "good health" because of lifestyle and diet issues. But I haven't seen anyone that is in "good health" but not "in shape." Odd...............

I have had a number of people that I have studied with and under, and they are all in great health and go further in the realm of "taking care of themselves" than a monk. I have studied meditation with monks...they go days without eating or speaking. Is this in "good health?" I was taught in San Diego, a meditation of not speaking for an hour. It is an intense practice. I was sweating for the hour I was speechless until a month of so after starting. It was amazing to see how much the day slowed down from this intense focused silence.  Anyways back to YOGA. 

I ski for half the year and I run the mountains that I ski the other half of the year. This adds up in the days  of pains and aches. With YOGA, I found a way to express those aches and pains with a much easier way of recovery than laying at the house. It takes the lactic acid and expresses it through the muscle fibers. It adds in circulation and a number of other benefits from sweating, to brain electricity. I have had far more days that I have needed YOGA than days that I haven't. 

I have a friend that will be adding some "YOGA" posts for all of us to enjoy. From series of poses to the breathing techniques to start your day......We will be here to aid in the satisfaction of your day and needs of your body.  That sounds like I just had a shot of Wheat grass.........sorry!

Enough of the chatter......Good Health is something that the Gatsby recommends for everyone:
"From a Polo match to a Mountain top run, you should always leave today better than you entered it."


No comments:

Post a Comment